Monday, March 19, 2012

I know how to party: Reading "The Dead" on St. Patrick's Day


Saturday was St. Patrick’s Day, and being American and of mostly Irish extraction, it’s a holiday I’ve always celebrated. Not in the Irish tradition, which I’ve been told involves a visit to church, but in the American tradition of wearing green and drinking beer. When I met the man who became my husband, I was a vegetarian, but when I went back to being a carnivore about ten years ago, he seized the opportunity to add corned beef to our holiday observation. He usually makes potatoes and cabbage as well. It’s a meal that I enjoy, once a year.

And that’s all we do on March 17th, usually. But this year, I decided I would also mark the day by reading something Irish. There’s a lot to choose from; the Irish are a wordy people. I didn’t have a lot of time, though, so I decided to go with a short story: “The Dead,” by James Joyce. It appears in his short story collection, The Dubliners, published in 1914.

It was actually a re-read for me. I first read “The Dead” years ago, in college, and I really liked it. I’m not a huge fan of James Joyce in general. I never did make it very far into Ulysses, though I may have been a victim of my own bravado. I had heard the prose was dense but assumed that I, of course, would be able to handle it. I did, for about a chapter, then fell asleep. And then I tried again the next day, and felt annoyed. It remains one of the very few books I’ve ever started and not finished.

But The Dead is a fairly accessible story about how the dead haunt the living. It’s about a party held at the house of two older women and their niece, on or around the Epiphany, in early January. Events are seen mostly from the perspective of their nephew, Gabriel, who is there with his wife. He’s making a fool of himself, at least in his own mind, throughout the evening. Toward the end, another guest sings a song that seems to deeply affect his wife, and after they leave, he finds out that the song reminded her of a boy she loved when she was a teenager. The boy had been sick, and died at age 17, after coming to see her one last time in the rain. Gabriel realizes that the boy his wife loved as a girl has stayed in her mind as a romantic, idealized image. It’s very difficult to compete with that type of perfection. He also realizes that the boy, Michael, had experienced love in a way that Gabriel never had, and this lead to his own epiphany:

“His soul had approached that region where dwell the vast hosts of the dead. He was conscious of, but could not apprehend, their wayward and flickering existence. His own identity was fading out into a grey impalpable world: the solid world itself, which these dead had one time reared and lived in, was dissolving and dwindling.”

That the dead never leave us, and that we eventually have to join them, is something that I understand a little better now than I did when I was 20. Also that the dead can become idealized in the minds of the people they leave behind, because they can no longer make mistakes. There are other themes that are probably just as important- Gabriel’s epiphany and awakening, Joyce’s commentary on Dublin society and the position of women, etc. But that’s what I take from it. Maybe it’s the Irish in me. If there was ever a group of people more obsessed with death and the past, I haven’t found them.
  
La Fhéile Pádraig Shona Daoibh.

No comments:

Post a Comment